Free legal aid in Maryland is offered throughout the state, including the following free legal assistance programs.
Maryland Legal Aid provides a full range of FREE civil legal services to financially qualified Marylanders and people over 60 from 12 offices around the state.
Maryland Legal Aid handles civil, not criminal, cases. Areas of general civil legal services include:
- Consumer Rights
- Elder Rights
- Farmworkers Rights
- Government Benefits
- Anne Arundel County Office: Annapolis – (410) 972-2700
- Baltimore City Office: Baltimore – (410) 951-7777
- Baltimore County Office: Towson – (410) 427-1800
- Lower Eastern Shore Office: Salisbury – (410) 546-5511
Dorchester, Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester Counties
- Metropolitan Maryland Office: Landover
- Howard County – (410) 480-1057
- Prince George’s County – (301) 560-2101
- Midwestern Maryland Office: Frederick – (301) 694-7414
Carroll, Frederick and Washington Counties
- Montgomery County Office: Rockville – (240) 314-0373
- Northeastern Maryland Office: Bel Air – (410) 836-8202
Cecil and Harford Counties
- Southern Maryland Office: Hughesville – (301) 932-6661
Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s Counties
- Upper Eastern Shore Office: Easton – (410) 763-9676
Caroline, Kent, Queen Anne’s and Talbot Counties
- Western Maryland Office: Cumberland – (301) 777-7474
Allegany and Garrett Counties
Maryland Legal Aid Bureau, Inc., Baltimore City
|Name:||Maryland Legal Aid Bureau, Inc., Baltimore City|
|Address:||500 East Lexington Street|
|Baltimore, MD 21202|
|Phone Number:||For intake call: 866-MD LAW 4U; 866-635-2948; 410-951-7750. Main business lines: 800-999-8904; 410-951-7777|
MVLS provides pro bono legal services to individuals in every Maryland county, except Montgomery, Prince George’s, Allegany counties, and the eastern shore counties of Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Dorchester, Kent and Caroline. These jurisdictions have local pro bono agencies. MVLS, however, will handle a few specialized matters in these jurisdictions including tax disputes with the IRS, school suspensions, long term care Medicaid benefits and legal assistance for nonprofit organizations.
(410) 547-6537 (Baltimore metro area)
- Farmworker Program - (800) 444-4099
- Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project - (888) 213-3320
- Long-Term Care Assistance Project - (866) 635-2948
- Maryland Senior Legal Helpline - (866) 635-2948
- Joining Forces Project - (443) 863-4040
- Ryan White Project - (866) 635-2948
- Farmworker Program - (800) 444-4099 The Farmworker Program represents migrant and seasonal workers in the agricultural fields, packing houses, nurseries and food processing plants of Maryland and Delaware on employment-related matters. Typical problems include unpaid wages, substandard housing, discrimination, pesticide exposure and inadequate access to bathrooms and drinking water. The Program conducts outreach to approximately one hundred labor camps in Maryland and Delaware.
- Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project - (888) 213-3320 The Foreclosure Legal Assistance Project represents low-income homeowners throughout Maryland at all stages of the foreclosure process, including, mediations, motions to stay and dismiss sales, bankruptcies, exceptions to sales, motions for order of possessions, and evictions. Advice and referrals are provided to those who we are unable to represent.
- Long-Term Care Assistance Project - (866) 635-2948 The Long-Term Care Assistance Project provides free legal assistance to help low-income persons obtain long-term health care. We help clients get the services and supports they need, wherever they want to live, whether it be in their homes, in the community through assisted living, or in nursing homes.
- Maryland Senior Legal Helpline - (866) 635-2948 The Senior Legal Helpline is a free telephone service for persons living in Maryland, aged 60 years or older. Attorneys who staff the helpline provide legal advice, brief legal services, or a referral to another lawyer or to an appropriate public or private agency. By providing these services over the telephone, seniors can get help for their legal problems without having to leave home.
- Joining Forces Project - (443) 863-4040 Maryland Legal Aid’s Joining Forces project is a free, statewide legal telephone hotline specifically for low-income individuals who have served in any branch of the military. Callers receive direct and immediate access to legal assistance and brief advice on a wide range of civil legal issues.
- Ryan White Project - (866) 635-2948 The Ryan White Project provides free legal services to Maryland residents in Baltimore City and Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, Howard, and Queen Anne’s Counties who are HIV positive or who have AIDS. Proof of residency, income, and HIV status are required to open a case. Services are designed to provide peace of mind and enable individuals to focus on their primary struggle, free of discrimination—fighting the effects of HIV/AIDS and staying well. Assistance provided by Maryland Legal Aid is an essential component of a holistic and comprehensive continuum of care for each client.
For more details about who is eligible for services, click here. For those who qualify, there is NO FEE for Maryland Legal Aid's services.