Filing a Small Claim in Broward County, Florida


Area of Law: 



Small claims courts are courts of limited jurisdiction that are designed to hear civil cases between private litigants. Their purpose is to prevent clogging up the formal court system with relatively petty matters through a less formal forum.  Small claims courts also limit the judgments awarded. This limit is generally set at $5,000 – though it may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.


The rules of civil procedure and evidence are typically simplified in small claims proceedings so as to allow non-lawyers to litigate their matters without the help of a costly attorney. Formal and costly procedures such as depositions are not allowed in small claims, and generally speaking, neither is a trial by jury.


Filing Small Claims in Broward County


Any individual over the age of 18 can file in Broward County Small Claims Court for damages up to $5,000.  You may bring an action in Broward County if the defendant resides there, the cause of action occurred there, or any property involved with the action is located there. In order to file your claim, you will first need to bring all of the information and paperwork to the proper courthouse and fill out the appropriate forms.  If you need help, a deputy clerk will be there to assist you.


There is a court fee that varies based on the amount of your claim.  For claims up to $100, the fee is $55.  For claims over $100 up to $500, the fee is $80.  For claims over $500 up to $2,500, the fee is $175.  Any claim over $2,500 up to the $5,000 limit will cost $300 to file.


After you file your claim, the next step is to serve the defendant.  You must know the full name of the individual you want to sue and an address at which he or she can be served.  In the case of filing a claim against a business, the process depends on whether or not the business is incorporated.  If it is incorporated, you have to include the name under which it is incorporated as well as a name and address of either a corporate officer or the registered agent.  If you have trouble finding this information, you may contact the State of Florida Corporate Information Department.


This service may be carried out in one of two ways.  You can have either the sheriff or a certified process server serve the summons and a copy of your lawsuit on your behalf.  The court’s administrative office can give you a list of certified process servers should you choose this method.  You may also attempt to execute service of a summons on any party within the state of Florida via certified mail with a return receipt requested.  If you choose to execute service this way, you can receive assistance from a deputy clerk at the courthouse.


For additional information and legal assistance concerning the Broward County small claims process, visit the Broward County Court’s website.



My lease ended on January

My lease ended on January 31st by mutual agreement
with the Landlord and we left the unit in good conditions (he rented it
again on February 1st). The Landlord did not file any claim against us for
damages to the property but he has not refunded my security deposit.